Raise your hand if you’ve been following the conversations taking place after Hollaback released this video of a woman walking around NYC to a chorus of catcalls, whistles and general street harassment. I’ve been pretty busy this week and it hasn’t left a lot of time for reading, but it does fascinate me. I’ve, and all the female friends I’ve talked to about this, have experienced almost all the stuff in the video at one time or another (the insults when you don’t stop to talk, being told to “smile” for the benefit of guys, the silent ones that walk intimidatingly beside you or behind you when you don’t respond to them, the “i’m just saying hello” excuse etc etc). So, it fascinates me that some guys feel it is so intrinsically their right to behave like this, regardless of how uncomfortable it makes a woman (or girl, because let’s be honest – how young were you when you first encountered this?) feel.
So here’s a few links of thread I’ve been following – and some that I’ve bookmarked to read about, such as the way racism intersects with sexism in the video when all the white catcalls (for whatever reason) are edited out…
– The original hollaback! video
– The ultimate bro responds to Amanda Seales saying “we do not like this, this should stop” on a CNN spot about it, with literally “that’s never gonna happen” and if she doesn’t like catcalling and doesn’t feel safe, then she should “leave NYC” and “buy a gun”. I mean…really. Even the anchor loses it at that point.
– Elon James White calls out the guys using the ‘I’m just saying hello, not catcalling’ excuse in the best way possible: highlighting through humour just how much that is total rubbish with #DudesGreetingDudes.
– A thoughtful response to the lack of white men in the hollaback video over at The Mary Sue.
– stopthecatcall.tumblr.com <– because being made uncomfortable happens whatever you’re wearing
– The Advertising Standards Agency bans the Sun’s ”Start a fantasy football team, win a page 3 girl” competition after they find it to be sexist.
– The John Lewis Christmas ad is out…
– John Oliver’s puppy Supreme Court is the BEST THING EVER.
– Shelter refuses to take any money from Dapper Laughs’ godawful “christmas single” that he says is to “help the homeless” <– here’s what he actually thinks of homeless people
– Look at these gorgeous paper sculptures! And you can buy them from Wolfram Kampffmeyer’s Etsy shop.
– November 4th: the day when you’re essentially working for free from then until the new year, ladies.
– A ballet-inspired wedding shoot